Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. All opinions remain my own. You can learn more about our editorial policies here.
Are you wondering whether “do you need a capture card to stream,” or can you go without it? Then, this article has the solution for you.
With the advancement in technology, multiple new gadgets have been introduced into the market. The capture card is one of those modern inventions. Video game streamers widely use them to record the video in better quality. If you are thinking about streaming on twitch, here is list of twitch integrated games that you can play as beginner.
When it comes to the usage of capture cards, especially for beginners, it is not convenient to learn the process. But in this guide, we have described the installation procedures of two famous types of capture cards (USB and PCI-e).
Do You Need a Capture Card to Stream
Well, do you need a capture card to stream, and why? To make everything clear for you, let’s dive into the article without any further delay. Let’s start with the purpose of the capture card:
What are Capture Cards Used for?
Before mentioning the usage of the capture cards, it is of paramount importance to understand what capture cards are actually. So, it is a device utilized to capture the content on your monitor screen, and then it encodes it into a file of premium quality.
You have the option to use it either with the game consoles, your computer, or cameras. There are several types of connections for your pc capture cards for twitch or any other platform that are listed below:
- Thunderbolt 3
Now, come back to the purpose of capture cards, as the name suggests. Capture cards are used for capturing. Commonly the capture cards are widely used by video game streamers for recording. In addition, capture cards are utilized to stream and record the content or video on the PC screen.
PlayStation 4 Xbox and various other game consoles have their capture installed in them. Now, maybe a question arises that do you still need the capture cards separately? Computers usually have restricted power. Moreover, their data speed is also limited.
Therefore, to curb the load on your PC, you need a capture card. If you want high-quality streaming in real-time, then consoles are not sufficient to fulfill your requirements. It becomes necessary to go for the capture cards to encode the video properly.
The function of game capture cards is to take the feed from your gameplay (in the raw form) and then change it into the language easily comprehended by the video player, such as Twitch, YouTube, etc.
There is one point that you should keep in mind that the purpose of the capture card is to assist in the transfer of data from your computer to your video player. Capture cards are not supposed to encode the data by themselves.
Requirements to Use a Capture Card
Using a capture card and the necessary things you must have is of great importance to understand. Therefore here we make the list of things that you should not forget to carry.
- You must have a primary device that should have an HDMI cable. Moreover, make sure that it has HDMI output as well.
- The next thing is the capture card. It should be compatible with the primary device’s interface, whether USB or PCI-e.
- The monitor is another must-have for the set-up. You can go for the TV too.
- For encoding, you need a computer as well.
- The last thing to consider is capture card software.
Now, you must be thinking that you should go for a USB connection or PCI-e. The answer is USB capture cards as they are more versatile as compared to the PCI-e.
How to Use a Capture Card
There are various types of capture cards, and their usage is different. Undoubtedly, the most important thing to consider is the cables. So, right after inboxing your capture card, make sure to equip yourself with all the necessary cables.
In the section below, we will discuss the installation process of different capture cards that will help you know about “how to use a capture card.”
Installing a USB External Capture Card
If you want to go for the USB capture card, you will require two HDMI cables and a USB cable. Here are the steps to install your USB external capture.
- Take your first HDMI cable and then secure it into the HDMI IN port.
- The next step is to take the other side of your HDMI cable and plug it into the HDMI OUT port of your Xbox or PlayStation.
- Now, you are done with the first HDMI cable. It’s time to take your second HDMI cable and attach it with the HDMI OUT on your capture card.
- After doing this, you have to take the other end of the second HDMI cable and connect it with the HDMI IN port in your monitor or TV.
- The last step is inserting your computer with the USB interface cable.
Installing a PCI-e Internal Capture Card
Before diving into the installation process of PCI-e capture cards, there is a confusion that needs addressing. Usually, people use the term PC capture cards for PCI-e capture cards.
All the capture cards require a personal computer to work. That’s why they called PC capture cards. But PCI-e is the type of capture card. Now let’s come on to the procedure of setting up a PCI-e capture card.
Is your keyboard driving you insane, Quietest Mechanical Keyboard Switches and Keyboards for Gaming
This set-up demands a motherboard along with two HDMI cables. Here we will explain the step-by-step process for the installation of the capture card.
- The first step is to attach the PCI-e capture card into the designated area in your computer’s motherboard.
- Take the first HDMI cable and plug it into the HDMI IN port in your capture card.
- Now, it’s time to plug in the other side of your HDMI cable’s primary device’s HDMI OUT port (here, the primary device is your Xbox or PlayStation).
- Take the second HDMI cable and connect it with your capture card HDMI OUT.
- After this, hold the other side of your HDMI wire and attach it with the HDMI IN port of your display, whether it can be a TV or monitor.
- Finally, take your primary device and open the system settings and disable the HDCP option.
Setting Up OBS Studio
After the installation process, it is time to download the drivers and software capable of performing their functions properly. Capture cards usually have their software, but some do not.
Most of the capture card users like to go for third-party software rather than relying on the capture card’s software. The most liked software among all others is OBS Studio. Therefore, here we will discuss the method of setting up an OBS Studio.
- The first thing you have to do is download the OBS Studio.
- After downloading the software, you have to tick on the “+” present below the sources tab. After doing this, there will be a new source added.
- Choose and name your capture card.
- In this step, you have to open the properties window and then go for your capture card.
- There will be an option to start recording in the bottom right corner. Click on that, and your video will start recording.
It is not convenient to use the BIOS Studio at your first trial. But after doing little practice, you will be doing things perfectly. Furthermore, if you are still facing difficulty, go to the Help section and get your problem solved.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
In this section, we will be discussing the answers to some of your frequently asked questions. Additionally, you will get to know, “do I need a capture card to stream on Twitch, YouTube, or any other video displaying app.”
Can I stream without a capture card?
Yes, it is possible to stream without using a capture card. But a capture card can record and stream in high quality. So, if you have money and can purchase a capture card, you should go for it.
Why do streamers need a capture card?
Streamers and, more specifically, game streamers used this gadget. It helps them record their gameplay videos, and after that, they will upload this video on the Internet. Read our guide on internet speed for streaming. In addition to that, it can aid in transforming your videos into HD format.
Can you use OBS without a capture card?
Yes, it is feasible to utilize your OBS software without spending a lot of money on the capture card. All you have to do is capture the Xbox Companion App on your PC, and then you can stream it using any software.
Final Words on “Do You need Capture Card to Stream”
To wrap up the discussion, I will say game streamers extensively use that capture cards. Therefore, if you want to improve your experience in streaming, you should go for the capture card.
They are expensive, so before purchasing them, make sure that you know the method and procedure. Most people are concerned about whether it is necessary to have a capture card for streaming or not.
Hence, your query “do you need a capture card to stream” will be resolved after this article. Are you using a Capture Card, or would you like to use it in the future? Let us know in the comments.